Sunday, April 8, 2012

Does she really look like that?

This week in sociology, we learned more in depth about how the media affects females And males. The media is a huge part of everyones live nd we rarely realize how much it actually impacts our decisions. We are bombarded with about 2,000 ads every day, and a good percentage of this ads are perceiving each gender negatively. For example, they make women seem vulnerable and weak against men. Also making them be seen as they way society wants them to be seen like the "perfect" woman. The media manipulates models on Photoshop, constantly changing every inch of their body; changing their body size, lengthening their necks and legs, making eyes bigger, hair fuller, perfect complexion and so much more words cannot describe. When women see these photos, they look at themselves as ugly, fat and not what society expects them be like. They develop mental problems, become self-conscious and develop eating disorders. A personal example is when I realized how weirdly "perfect" these women were on television, and how much I wanted to look like them. I dyed my hair, wanted to be as skinny and thin like them, but I realized that I could never be like that, and no one ever will look like that. Everyone is beautiful in their own way and should not compare themselves to the fake women on ads, because they don't even look like that.

1 comment:

  1. Your post reminded me of the Dove video that we watched in class. I think its important to remember that the people we see in magazines, really don't look like that at all!

    ReplyDelete